A Portable All-in-One Device for Endoscopes
Patient-to-patient transmission of bacteria and virus via endoscopes should be prevented through proper sterilization. The device provides three sets of compartments for sterilizing and storing of clean and dirty endoscopes in a single unit. Each compartment is separate and functions independently. This innovative device provides the solution for proper sterilization of multiple rigid endoscopes in a busy clinic to avoid cross-infection and possible litigations.
INSPIRATION OF THE INVENTION
- For patients’ safety
- To avoid possible litigations
PROBLEM STATEMENT & CURRENT ISSUES
- Productivity and Effectiveness
- Highly dependent on patient turn around.
- To examine high patient influx, steps of reprocessing are either reduced or cut short
- Multiple Steps of Reprocessing
- Multiple reprocessing steps are laborious especially with high patient inflow and when longer time to clean endoscopes used on high-risk patients is needed
- Setting and Storage
- Limited space for reprocessing and storage of endoscopes is highly challenging in public hospitals.
INVENTIVENESS & NOVELTY
The first portable device developed for cleaning and storing endoscopes
USEFULNESS & APPLICATION
This device comprises of storage and sterilizing compartments in one set. The first step is to place the used endoscope in one of the three wet compartments. Next, the endoscope is transferred into one of the sterilization compartments filled with high-level disinfectant. Each sterilizing compartment is configured with an alarm set to the pre-determined soaking time for sterilization. An alert signal will notify the user on completion of the sterilization process. The final step is transferring the sterilized endoscope into one of the drying compartments integrated with built-in warmers. After each sterilization process, the acidity of the high-level disinfectant is tested with litmus paper to ensure efficacy.
IMPACT OF THE PRODUCT
- Developed based on the pressing needs of health care practitioners
- Provides a well-integrated and non-intrusive module for effective usage
- Ensures effective and controlled sterilization of the endoscopes thus minimizing health risks like infections, etc.
- The automated model will make the process even more simple and easy-to-use and minimizes the possibility of human errors.
- Cost effective and localized to meet local healthcare practitioners’ needs and preferences.
Government and private hospital and clinics, endoscopic centers.
Project Leader : Professor Dr Salina Husain
Dept./Fac./Inst : Department of Otorinolaryngology-Head and Neck, Faculty of Medicine
Expertise : Surgery, Rhinology (Nose), Skull Base Surgery, Allergy, Smell and Taste
SepsiDotTM Bedside Point-of-care Biosensor Kit
We invented an electrochemical biosensor (based on first-of-its-kind enzymatic cascading reactions of three enzymes immobilized on acrylic microspheres coated onto a screen-printed electrode) and a small portable, handheld electronic reader. The biosensor will interface with its miniature electronic reader to give a reading for diagnosis of bacterial sepsis in any situation (at home, at nursing home, at clinics, at school, travelling to Haj, in flight, in hospital, at disaster zone, and warzone) with only with 1 drop of blood from fingertip of patient. The result of can be obtain with 10min and decision can be made either patient need antibiotic and hospitalization or not.
My Shoe Air Walker Integrated with Weight Alert System
Air Walker was built using customized shoe material with dural aluminum which is adjustable and contains circuit board for weight alarm system in the outsole.
MyB Prosthetic Limb
We invented a user-friendly and comfort prosthetic leg that can bend 180˚. This "MyB Prosthetic Limb" can allow ankle movement while performing prostration and kneeling position. A user-friendly prosthetic leg that would provide lower limb amputees flexibility and comfort, especially while doing activities such as prostration and yoga.