Gynulin™ – Functional Drink for General Wellbeing
Evidence-based herbal supplement product for management of blood glucose, pro-fertility and pro-libido.
INSPIRATION OF THE INVENTION
- Malaysia is the 12th most biodiverse country in the world, with rich natural resources that could be used as alternative anti-diabetic and pro-fertility treatments.
- Sambung nyawa (Gynura procumbens) and Kelulut honey contain high flavonoid content beneficial for blood glucose management and fertility booster.
PROBLEM STATEMENT & CURRENT ISSUES
- Approximately 1 in 5 adults in Malaysia (3.9 million) have diabetes (National Health and Morbidity Survey 2019)
- 80% of male diabetic patients suffer various fertility issues including loss of libido, erectile and sexual dysfunctions as well as debilitating sperm quality
- Current treatments in the market have side effects such as infertility problem:
o Reduced sperm quality (count, motility)
o Reduced size and weight of testicles
o Damaged seminiferous tubule (Proven by our lab test!)
- Available herbal products in the market have yet to be thoroughly investigated in terms of their efficacy and safety.
INVENTIVENESS & NOVELTY
The first supplement that has proven 3 in 1 benefits:
- Anti-hyperglycemia (blood glucose management)
A novel green approach:
- Patented method of producing a medicament and its use for reducing blood glucose level and improving fertility.
- This product is environmentally friendly- Endocrine Disruptor Chemical (EDC) free.
Natural product based on local resources (as recommended by MoA):
- Gynura procumbens
- Kelulut honey
- Efficacy and safety
- Fully tested with excellent result in pre-clinical and molecular studies
- Non-toxic and no adverse effects
- Insulin mimic- Advantage for Type II Diabetes Mellitus
USEFULNESS & APPLICATION
- Economical health supplement-3 in 1 solution (anti-hyperglicemic, profertility & prolibido.
- Green Pharma Solution – Environmentally Friendly.
- Huge potential in Bio Economy-Herbal Industry
IMPACT OF THE PRODUCT
- Huge potential in Bio Economy-Herbal Industry: The export value of Malaysia’s herbal-based food is expected to reach between RM300 million – RM400 million/year.
- Competitive Advantages: Supported by years of evidence-based experimentation to ensure the product efficacy and safety.
- Health and Socio-Economic Impact: In line with the United Nation (UN) Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 3 to ensure healthy population and foster well-being in all age groups.
Relevant industry: Nutraceutical and health supplement industries
TRL : 9
Project Leader : Prof. Madya Dr. Mahanem Mat Noor
Co-Researcher : Dr. Wan Aizat Wan Kamaruddin
Dept./Fac./Inst : Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Faculty of Science and Technology
Expertise: Animal Reproductive, Biology, Zoology
TP 3-in-1™ Fruit Juice Drink
TP 3-in-1™ is an innovation involves a specially formulated beverage consists of a mixture of tropical fruits with a therapeutic dosage of polyphenols to prevent risk of cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s Disease.
Recovery of High-Purity and High-Value Sialic Acid
This invention recovers the high-value sialic acids from edible bird’s nest (EBN) processing by-products, through enzymatic hydrolysis, and acid hydrolysis. The technology has been patented
Production of Water-Soluble Elastin Peptide Powder
Introducing water-soluble elastin peptide powder from poultry skin, a novel functional ingredient with excellent antioxidative and antihypertensive characteristics for the use in the production of functional food and drinks, anti-aging cosmetics industry, pharmaceutical and regenerative medicine.
Elastin, a structural, highly cross-linked, insoluble protein is found primarily in connective tissues and normally extracted from bovine neck ligaments, pig's aorta and mouse lungs. As Malaysia is largely self sufficient in Halal poultry meat production, we therefore explored different techniques to extract elastin from this new, Halal source of elastin coming from chicken skin waste and had successfully found the best method of extraction which is non-enzymatic, economical and involved the least chemical and time of extraction. The purity and quality characteristics of the resultant elastin powder were also proven to be comparable to that commercially available elastin from bovine neck ligament with evidence of excellent antioxidative and antihypertensive benefits. To our knowledge, this is the first report on elastin extraction from poultry skin.