Production of Water-Soluble Elastin Peptide Powder
Introducing water-soluble elastin peptide powder from poultry skin, a novel functional ingredient with excellent antioxidative and antihypertensive characteristics for the use in the production of functional food and drinks, anti-aging cosmetics industry, pharmaceutical and regenerative medicine.
Elastin, a structural, highly cross-linked, insoluble protein is found primarily in connective tissues and normally extracted from bovine neck ligaments, pig’s aorta and mouse lungs. As Malaysia is largely self sufficient in Halal poultry meat production, we therefore explored different techniques to extract elastin from this new, Halal source of elastin coming from chicken skin waste and had successfully found the best method of extraction which is non-enzymatic, economical and involved the least chemical and time of extraction. The purity and quality characteristics of the resultant elastin powder were also proven to be comparable to that commercially available elastin from bovine neck ligament with evidence of excellent antioxidative and antihypertensive benefits. To our knowledge, this is the first report on elastin extraction from poultry skin.
INSPIRATION OF THE INVENTION
PROBLEM STATEMENT & CURRENT ISSUES
The source of currently commercially-available elastin
- Raw material of the elastin (Non-Halal, mostly from China)
- Extraction process (could involve enzymatic approach – Non-Halal enzyme)
INVENTIVENESS & NOVELTY
Non- enzymatic and low-cost production of mass volume water soluble elastin from poultry by product. This patent pending technology produce high grade elastin with potential cosmetics, pharmaceuticals and nutraceuticals applications.
USEFULNESS & APPLICATION
IMPACT OF THE PRODUCT
- New, Halal, high purity poultry-based elastin is produced and the quality is comparable to that of commercialized, chemical grade elastin form Sigma Aldrich (Bovine neck ligament).
- Demands for powder are coming from local and international parties from various industry.
- Promising results on the compatibility of poultry-based elastin powder are reported in antiaging cosmetics and tissue engineering.
- By 2020, the population age more than 50 years has increased to 3.5 million. The reported prevalence of knee pain among elderly in the capital is around 30%.
- Therefore, the market for a novel nutraceutical for joint health is tremendous since it is a common condition among elderly.
TRL : 6
Project Leader : Dr. Salma Mohamad Yusop
Co-Researcher : Prof Dr Abdul Salam Babji, Nurkhuzaiah Kamaruzaman
Dept./Fac./Inst : Jabatan Sains Makanan, Fakulti Sains Dan Teknologi (FST)
TP 3-in-1™ Fruit Juice Drink
TP 3-in-1™ is an innovation involves a specially formulated beverage consists of a mixture of tropical fruits with a therapeutic dosage of polyphenols to prevent risk of cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s Disease.
Recovery of High-Purity and High-Value Sialic Acid
This invention recovers the high-value sialic acids from edible bird’s nest (EBN) processing by-products, through enzymatic hydrolysis, and acid hydrolysis. The technology has been patented
- Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease commonly experienced by the elderly.
- Joint inflammation plays a role in the development of osteoarthritis.
- Tocotrienol with its anti-inflammatory properties could suppress the development of osteoarthritis at its early stage.
- Tocotrienol was shown to protect cartilage deterioration and lower circulating cartilage markers in rats with osteoarthritis.